Abu Dhabi Police - General Headquarters of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, won a Stevie® Award for IT Team of the Year in the information technology award categories of The 2011 International Business Awards, the world's premier business awards program. (The 2012 IBAs are now open for entries. Request your entry kit here and submit entries by the April 11 early-bird deadline for discounted entry fees.) Here we look at how the IT award winning team transformed the Abu Dhabi Police's (ADP) communications system.
Abu Dhabi Police's communication system was no longer keeping up with current security and emerging technology demands, leading to increased security risks. ADP's communication system had limited coverage, a lack of integration across all of Abu Dhabi, and an inadequate information security system, causing information leaks due to eavesdropping on police conversations.
The IT awards winning team, composed of four members with no less than ten years experience and previous knowledge of the current system, was given the task of updating ADP's system. The four had to research various solutions, select the best system, and monitor all of its development and operations. The new system had to meet technology innovations including:
- Ability of reducing processing time and increasing customer satisfaction,
- Coverage of the Emirate's land and sea (95% coverage was initially targeted), and
- Security for the protection of Police Operations privacy.
After several inquiries and significant research, the tech awards winner decided to introduce TErrestrial Trunked RAdio (TETRA) as ADP's new communications system. TETRA's capabilities include:
- Collective voice communications,
- Wireless telephony, and
- Data services.
Through ADP's introduction of TETRA, the communications system has become the first integrated wireless system in the Arab world. TETRA has contributed to better crime control and safer roads - advancing the UAE to the 11th most reliable police force in the world according to the 2011 World Economic Report. ADP's TETRA system has helped the police force in several ways, including:
- Automatically identifying the location of the police patrols and the person making the call.
- Automatically identifying the location of chased cars and illegal drivers.
- Allowing decisions to be made on site without having to be in the command and control center.
- Enabling coordination between paramedics and victims.
Other benefits include:
- The TETRA communication system is a cost-effective system reducing maintenance costs by 32.9%
- TETRA has contributed to higher customer satisfaction:
o Customer satisfaction with the security levels reached 94.8%
o Satisfaction of businessmen with the security levels reached 97.5%
- Crimes per 1,000 residents was reduced to 0.6 %
- Percentage of solved crimes reached 96.6%
- Current coverage: 98% of Abu Dhabi
- Since its implementation, there have been 0 security violations
- Satisfaction with the clarity of the voice is 100%
- Availability of communication channels when calling: 98.47%
About Abu Dhabi Police
The Abu Dhabi Police - General Headquarters is located in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. The police department strives to make a safer society by preserving stability, reducing crime and contributing justice to the general public. The force values are integrity, honesty and respect for all human rights. The force serves with responsibility, tact, kindness and promotes teamwork and recognition of the contributions of both individuals and teams on the force.