- Wabtec provides integrated solutions and digitization for the freight and transit rail sectors
- The company is committed to reducing emissions and has created the first 100% battery-powered locomotive
Wabtec is a leading global provider of equipment, systems, digital solutions, and value-added services for the freight and transit rail sectors. Drawing on over 150 years of experience, Wabtec is leading the way in safety, efficiency, reliability, innovation, and productivity.
Wabtec is an integrated solutions provider delivering lifecycle products and services for the transportation industry by improving interoperability, efficiency, and competitiveness for customers. With more than 23,000 locomotives in Wabtec’s global installed base, and components on many of the locomotives, freight cars, and transit cars around the world, Wabtec is developing tomorrow’s logistics and transit solutions.
The company’s digital solutions, combined with Positive Train Control (PTC) and electronics capabilities, unlock significant productivity components - saving billions of dollars for rail customers and operators, all while creating pathways to advanced automated operations. These digital tech solutions improve safety and efficiency for the transportation industry, helping address the growing demand for improved rail performance.
Wabtec has made great strides in the past two years. It started with the merger with GE Transportation in 2019; this accomplishment brought together industry leaders with complementary and unique technologies to create a leading rail technology company. It also established Wabtec as a Fortune 300 and S&P 500 company. Since the merger, Wabtec has introduced innovations that enable customers to succeed in transforming the rail industry. Some major accomplishments include:
- Designed, built, and shipped the world’s first 100% battery-electric locomotive
- Won the NYC Transit order to extend battery technology to passenger transit
- Completed over 500 million auto miles and has saved customers 400 million gallons of fuel with the Trip Optimizer System
- Helped 70 railroad customers meet the first US-mandated PTC deadline
- Tested, introduced, and sold zero-to-zero train operations (starting a train from 0mph and stopping the train automatically using various controls integrated with PTC)
- Introduced and began testing the new, innovative Green Friction braking solution for transit rail to reduce friction particle emissions on metro trains by up to 90%
- Launched Wabtec’s first sustainability strategy and report as a new company
Wabtec’s Commitment to Cleaner Transportation
Trends show that freight and passenger activity will more than double by 2050, and with it, demand for cleaner, more energy-efficient transportation solutions. The rail industry is on the cusp of technological advancements required to power locomotive fleets with alternative green energy sources. Wabtec is leading this environmental shift with the FLXdrive Battery Locomotive - the industry’s first and only heavy-haul, 100% battery-powered locomotive operating in revenue service with BNSF Railways. This technology will provide up to 30% in fuel savings for the complete locomotive consist. Pairing the alternative power solutions with automation and digitization is an essential driver for the modernization of the entire transportation system, making it seamless, more efficient, and key to driving increased levels of safety, security, reliability, and reduced emissions. Wabtec’s dominant market share in Positive Train Control (PTC) systems, which span 70,000 miles of track, is the foundation for a more autonomous network.
Interested in entering The 2022 American Business Awards? Request the entry kit.